Playing a DVD: Using the Smart Classroom and Thin Client
1. Inventory and gather the supplies necessary for your lesson. You will need
the DVD you wish to play and a portable USB DVD drive. These are
located in the adjunct faculty office at the Nalanda campus, in the Library
at Main Campus (Arapahoe), or the adjunct faculty closet at Paramita. If
you do not know the passcode to the adjunct faculty office at your campus
please reach out to your program’s administrator.
2. Start with all the equipment turned off. The projector’s power light will be
flashing blue. If the power light is NOT flashing blue: submit a ticket to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the classroom number
3. Using the remote, firmly press the red power button once. The flashing
blue power light will become solid blue. WAIT for 15-30 seconds for the
bulb to warm up and the projector to display “Waiting for Input”. Once
the projector is on, turn on the thin client by pressing the power button
once on the top of the client. It will turn blue.
4. Once the projector has received the input, you will see the thin client
display on the wall.
a. If you are faculty: Login with your username (part of your email
address before “@naropa.edu”) and your email password.
b. If you are a student: Login with your username (student ID number)
and your MyNaropa password
5. Be patient while the classroom image is loading, it will take a few
6. Insert the DVD drive USB into Thin Client USB port. You will hear a
slight humming or clicking sound from the DVD drive as it receives
power. There may also be an audible alert from the speakers as the system
recognizes a device being plugged in.
7. The DVD drive has a small button on the front of the device. It is
Push this button and release. The DVD drive tray will open to allow
you to insert your DVD. Carefully align the DVD within the circular
pattern on the tray and press the DVD into place. You will hear a click
as it snaps in.
8. Close the tray. You will hear the DVD drive activate as the DVD loads.
Wait patiently for just a few moments.
9. The next step will depend upon the classroom you are in- some of the
classrooms have auto play already configured while others will require
you to manually open and play your DVD. A description for either
If Auto Play is configured:
Wait a few more moments and the VLC media player should open like
the screenshot to the right. A few moments more and the movie will load
and then open. You can navigate with your mouse through the DVD
menu and features for playing movie from beginning, selecting a chapter,
choosing language preference or
You may get a Privacy notification that you may X out or choose
Continue to clear the notification from the screen.
If you need to manually open and play DVD: Open the VLC
media player on your desktop.
Choose "Playback" from the top menu. Choose "Open Media"
and "Disc". The DVD disc will load, then choose "Play". You
can navigate with your mouse through the DVD menu and
features for playing movie.
10. After the lesson has finished, you will want to eject your DVD. Press and
release the button on the front of the DVD drive to open the tray and
remove your DVD. Then shut down the equipment. Press and hold the
power button on the thin client. The light should be AMBER.
11.Once the thin client is powered off, the projector will have a blue “waiting
for input” screen again—this is OK!
12.Use the black projector remote and press the power button twice. If you
only press the remote one time, you will see the below image.
When you press the remote button twice, this will turn off the lamp. The
lamp takes about two minutes to cool down and go back into standby
(flashing blue light) mode. If you need to use the projector immediately
again, you will have to wait for the projector to cool down first.
13. Unplug the DVD drive from the Thin Client. Return all borrowed
equipment to the adjunct faculty office or library.